>> Kilmory Oib and Arichonan

Two deserted townships in the Knapdale Forest

Kilmory Oib
NMRS no: NR79SE 40
National Grid Reference: NR 781 902
site location [click here for a road map]

Kilmory Oib is a deserted township consisting of several unroofed buildings and enclosures and is depicted on the 1st edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map, which dates to 1873. There is also an early cross-marked stone and possible holy well at Kilmory Oib, and more information on these can be found at the website of the Kilmartin House Museum. The museum is situated not far to the north of the township.

Arichonan
NMRS no: NR79SE 23
National Grid Reference: NR 774 912
site location [click here for a road map]

The deserted township of Arichonan appears in records as far back as 1654, but the surviving ruins date from the early 19th century. A date of 1833 is carved into one of the door lintels. Clay mortared walls, surviving rows of stone thatch pegs, and slots for the roof crucks can still be seen. Until recently, the remains of the township were enclosed within modern forestry plantains, but these have now been felled and free access is facilitated by paths. There is also further information on this site on the website of the Kilmartin House Museum.

For more information on this site see CANMORE

Both Kilmory Oib and Arichonan lie in the Knapdale Forest, and further details on how to get there can be found on the Forestry Commission website.